Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Toes Hurt!!!

What seems like a month ago is really just 1 week ago. We were in Gatlinburg with MYG at Winterfest. It was a great time. During the first session Saturday before lunch Jerome Williams sang a song.

'Said I wasn't gonna tell anybody
but I couldn't keep it to myself
what the Lord has done for me...

You oughta been there when He saved my soul
You oughta been there when He put my name on the roll

I'll keep walking
I'll keep talking
I'll keep singing
I'll keep shouting

What the Lord has done for me'

I haven't heard that song in, oh I don't know... 12 years. It took me back to a time when I got caught in the infamous spiritual high that you get from retreats or getaways. It got me to think about the meaning of the song.

Have I kept talking about it? Not as much as I should...to 'outsiders'. Have I sung about it? Couldn't really tell from the playlist on my iPod. I have really made an effort in the days since WF to look at my actions at work, at home, nay even at church. Do people see me walking, talking, singing, and when necessary shouting about what Jesus has done for me. Perhaps this whole thought process is a bit junior highish, but is it?

This morning Gary Bradley stepped on my toes. And the real shocking part is that he didn't even hesitate when he did it...just WHAM!!!! got all ten toes at once. Couldn't believe it! The minister of all people. Now if you've seen Gary you know he is not a small man, so you know how much force he has when he steps.

Why did he step on my toes you ask? Because he used the word to pierce my heart...

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone"

And if that wasn't enough he followed that up with

With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.

Is your speech always full of grace and seasoned with salt? Do you praise God and then talk bad about someone else?

My toes still hurt.




3 comments:

Thomas said...

He brought the Word this morning...so practical. The part that hit home hardest for me was "Is God that rude to you when you make a mistake?".

Stacy said...

I love it when we hear real-life practical lessons...not the "fluffy" stuff. It's harder to listen to but it always leaves me thinking about it longer afterward. That's what listening to the word is supposed to do, right? Cause self-reflection and change.

Good post. It's always good to be made more aware of how others perceive us!

Sunny said...

Great thoughts! I missed this past Sunday since I stayed back home with Jack. It is very hard to be the kind of person that God wants you to be to others (sometimes). It is important that we always have the mindset that God would want us to have towards everyone. May our words always be full of grace!

Love Jerome! "ONE MORE TIME"!